Friday, January 30, 2009

I was fleeced by Madoff


"...Over and over again, I've asked myself: Why didn't I secure the most basic of all things -- shelter itself? Why didn't I pay off my mortgage? And if I don't engage in blame, I see the answer clearly: because I believed in something else more -- I believed in accumulating. And when you believe in accumulating, you see what you don't have, not what you have. My relationship to money was no different from my relationship to food, to love, to fabulous sweaters: I never felt as if I had enough. I was always focused on the bite that was yet to come, not the one in my mouth. I was focused on the way my husband wasn't perfect, not the way he was. And on the sweater I saw in the window, not the one in my closet that I hadn't worn for a year..."

From an article posted on Salon.com by Geneen Roth, a teacher, columnist and writer of numerous books including "When Food is Love" and "The Craggy Hole in My Heart." (retrieved from Salon.com 1/30/09)